If you were to ask me if I'd ever had the bad luck to miss my daily cocktail, I'd have to say that I doubt it; where certain things are concerned, I plan ahead. - Luis Buñuel

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Cocktail of the week: Martini

Yesterday was National Martini Day, and Dr. D celebrated surviving this past week with his sanity intact with a classic gin martini.  The martini is a very simple cocktail with only two ingredients:  gin and vermouth.*  The ratio of gin to vermouth has changed over the years.  Personally, I prefer a 2:1 ratio of gin to vermouth.  Here's a recipe for the perfect martini:

INGREDIENTS


•2 ounces dry gin
•1 ounce dry vermouth
•Ice
•Olives or a twist of lemon, for garnish

INSTRUCTIONS

Place a cocktail glass in the freezer to chill.  Combine the gin and vermouth in a shaker, fill it halfway with ice, and stir vigorously until well chilled, about 20 seconds. Strain into the chilled glass. Garnish with olives or a twist of lemon. (If using a twist, be sure to run the slice over the glass’s rim.)

*There are many who believe a martini is made with vodka (Thanks, James Bond!) and that's not completely wrong. They can be. It's just not the classic martini.


Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment