If you were to ask me if I'd ever had the bad luck to miss my daily cocktail, I'd have to say that I doubt it; where certain things are concerned, I plan ahead. - Luis Buñuel

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Drink (not cocktail) of the week: Sangria Blanco

I actually learned a lesson from this week's entry - that technically a cocktail should be a drink with at least three ingredients and that one ingredient should be a spirit, one should be sugary/sweet, and one should be sour/bitter.  Obviously, almost all mixed drinks now are called cocktails, but hey, the more you know, right?  The reason I questioned the true definition of "cocktail" is because I did not consider sangria to be a cocktail.  And it's not.  It's actually a wine punch....with a punch!

Sangria consists of wine, brandy, chopped fruits, and a sweetener.  Traditionally, its made with red wine.  This is how it earned its name; it's color resembles blood and the Spanish word for blood is "sangre."  However, the hellaciously hot days of summer are upon us in the South, so my favorite way to make it more bearable is a white wine sangria or "Sangria Blanco."  There are an infinite number of ways to concoct this refreshing libation.  Some recipes can be quite loaded alcohol-wise, but personally, I feel that defeats the purpose of the beverage.  Below is my favorite recipe that I use at home, which is based on a Sangria Blanco recipe by Emeril Lagasse.*  It yields 10-12 servings.

Ingredients:

2 (750-ml) bottles white (preferably) Spanish wine, such as Albarino (Galacia), Viura (Rioja).  You can also use Pinot grigio, or Sauvignon Blanc **
1/2 cup  brandy
1/4 cup orange liqueur
1 orange, juiced
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1/2 orange, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 lemon, halved and thinly sliced
1 (10-ounce) bottle club soda, chilled

Directions:

Combine wine, brandy, orange liqueur, orange juice, and sugar in a large pitcher or bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the fruit and stir well to combine. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.  Stir in the club soda and serve the sangria in large wine glasses, over ice if desired.

For a party, I like to make a double batch, put it in a large beverage dispenser, minus the club soda, and then let my guests add the club soda to their individual drinks over ice, rather than adding the club soda to the punch beforehand.



(Picture courtesy of Food Network)

* Emeril's recipe calls for plums & peaches to be cut up as well.  I personally leave them out.  I just find that three fruits are plenty, five just gets cumbersome in a glass.  But its a personal preference as to your favorite fruit.  You can do pears or apples as well.  That makes a nice fall season sangria; maybe add a little spice such as nutmeg or cinnamon.

**  Overly oaky (Chardonnay) or sweet (Reislings) white wines don't work well with this recipe.  It overpowers the flavor of the punch.  I have used inexpensive Pinot Grigio such as Cavit, and a light California Sauvignon Blanc such as Line 39 - both worked fine.

Next time you invite a couple of friends over for a BBQ, leave the frosty beers in the fridge and impress them with this refreshing and tasty concoction.  I made this recipe for a Cinco de Mayo bash last year and there was none left, even though we also had beer, wine, and margaritas.  It's a party pleaser, for sure!

Now, if you are thinking, "Wow girl, that sounds delicious, but with all this heat & humidity, I don't even have the energy to mix this up," don't fret!  There's a restaurant in the Jackson, MS area that has amazing sangria - Babalu Taco & Tapas.  In fact, one of the reasons I rushed over there when it first opened was due to the fact that I saw it had a red & white sangria on its drinks menu, either by the glass or pitcher.  And their Sangria Blanco is always fantastic!  Check it out! 

Salud!





No comments:

Post a Comment