If you were to ask me if I'd ever had the bad luck to miss my daily cocktail, I'd have to say that I doubt it; where certain things are concerned, I plan ahead. - Luis Buñuel

Thursday, June 20, 2013

And breathe.....

Whew!  The last few days have been a whirlwind of sadness, laughter, anger, and some drunkness if I'm being completely honest.  Dr. D's father died Thursday morning, and we are both now funeral-planning experts.  Seriously, funeral home directors/staff are a special breed.  I don't know how they always manage to say the right thing, especially when the bereaved widow suffering from Alzheimer's introduces herself to them after she's already met them twice.  Trying to make funeral arrangements with someone who can't remember what decisions she made five minutes prior is frustrating and a challenge.  But we survived.

Now comes the hard part - taking care of the mother-in-law who cannot take care of herself.  But Rome wasn't built in a day, so all we can do is take small steps every day towards getting her in a safe place without us all having a nervous breakdown or winding up in AA meetings. 

Which reminds me, my cocktail of the week post is forthcoming....stay tuned!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment