If you were to ask me if I'd ever had the bad luck to miss my daily cocktail, I'd have to say that I doubt it; where certain things are concerned, I plan ahead. - Luis Buñuel

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

We plan, God laughs

All I can think of this week is the Yiddish proverb,  "We plan, God laughs."  I don't like to complain or moan to others, which is why I never post on Facebook.   I realize that most friends care if you're having a bad day, but they have their own crap to deal with.  Do they really need to hear about mine?  But this weekend and the first part of this week, while it could have been worse, has been a real doozy. 

To recap:
  1. Dr. D's uncle died. (He was elderly, it was not unexpected.)  R.I.P Caldwell.
  2. His father is in hospice with cancer and is getting worse by the day.  Most likely he will be gone by the weekend - right before Father's Day. 
  3. His mother, who has Alzhiemers', is being a real bitch to everyone and won't admit she needs assistance.  She basically spent the weekend calling my husband a smart-ass.  I know it's her disease changing her personality, but seriously, she needs to get a grip.  Since she's not getting her way, she is lashing out at everyone.  Unfortunately, I guess it's us that needs to get a grip; she's not going to change.
  4. Our plumbing backed up so I had to call plumber Sat. afternoon and get that taken care of.
  5. Our pool pump died, so we had to have that replaced.  That's $600 I didn't want to spend.
  6. And the cherry on the sundae, Dr. D's sister went to the ER Sunday night with crushing chest pain.  Luckily, it turned out to only be her gall bladder but she had to have it removed, so she's out of commission for a few days.  Which if you look at #2 & #3, is not horribly good timing.  But what can you do? 
There's some other minor things as well but not worth getting into.  Is it poor manners to bring wine to a funeral? Maybe a well-concealed flask of bourbon for Dr. D? I'm so thankful his small hometown just decided to allow the sale of liquor. It's a sign.


But, seriously, Dr. D and I are healthy & happy and thankful that we have the means and mindset to deal with these situations.  And a couple of family members have been so supportive and helpful.  I cannot thank them enough.  So I'll keep on planning and, hopefully, I can laugh along with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment