If you were to ask me if I'd ever had the bad luck to miss my daily cocktail, I'd have to say that I doubt it; where certain things are concerned, I plan ahead. - Luis Buñuel

Friday, May 17, 2013

Senior-itis

I have senior-itis.  Not the type that is normally present this time of year.  After all, I've been graduated from high school for....well, never mind about that.  I've become obsessed with thinking about mine & Dr. D's golden years. 

This morning, in the shower, I actually said to Dr. D that we will need to sell our condo in Oxford (you know the one we bought nine months ago!) when we hit our 70s because both bedrooms are upstairs.  That's right, I am already concerning about mobility issues and falling and breaking a hip.  The truth is I should be more concerned about running down those stairs in flip flops after consuming a bottle of wine.  Seriously, I already tripped and scraped my hand going up the stairs taking up laundry.  If anything, maybe aging will make me more careful!

It's not surprising, I guess, considering all the hell that we've gone through with his elderly parents lately.  They have been so stubborn, not admitting that anything is wrong with them (both have dementia).  Whether you have children or not, I think it's important to meticulously plan your future and retirement plans before you get too stuck in your life and habits to truly comprehend what may be the best course of action.  Luckily, the concept of "we can't leave our home," and "we don't like change" is one that we are rejecting, at least for now.  We are looking forward to retirement and old age as a new challenge and adventure.   For me, I would like a place that's walkable to stores, shops and that needs little upkeep.  And near a liquor store and restaurant/bar with a good wine list, obviously.  Hopefully, we'll be that old couple sitting at the bar that younger couples look to and go, "I hope that's us in forty years."

Gotta run and yell at some kids to get off my lawn.  Plus, dinner is only a couple of hours away.  Hmmm, does that mean cocktail hour starts at 3? 

No comments:

Post a Comment