If you were to ask me if I'd ever had the bad luck to miss my daily cocktail, I'd have to say that I doubt it; where certain things are concerned, I plan ahead. - Luis Buñuel

Friday, May 24, 2013

No Cocktail of Week so let's w(h)ine!

I was so uninspired this week as to what cocktail to highlight so since yesterday was National Chardonnay Day (or as we call it in the Dinks' household - everyday), I thought I would discuss wine this week. 

I love wine.  Seriously, it's probably not healthy how much I do.  The fact is, it just tastes damn good to me.  I rarely get a serious buzz from it because I do try to keep the alchohol % low in what I buy/consume.  And Chardonnay is my fave.  I can rock a Pinot Grigio, Albarino, Zinfandel or Cabernet Sauvignon once in a while.  But Chardonnay is so versatile.  It's got a very neutral taste so it can be heavily influenced by terroir (fancy French term for dirt) and oak barrels.  That's why Chardonnay can be really fun and really frustrating all at the same time.  Most consumers like consistency.  Therefore, a little education about where a grape comes from can help you make a good purchase.  For example, most Chardonnays from Napa Valley tend to be more full-bodied and heavily oaked.  French Chardonnays are leaner tasting, more minerally.  It helps sometimes to look at the label; some wines will have descriptions about the process (if it was stored in oak, it will have more of those flavors; if it was stored in stainless tanks, then the flavor will be more neutral).  Some vineyards even label the wine as "unoaked."  When you can nail down a flavor profile, you'll start to learn that you can expand your wine knowledge.  For example, a clean unoaked chardonnay from Mendocino might be similar in flavor profile to a fuller bodied Sauvignon Blanc from Napa.  Wine store owners usually are glad to help find something that will please your palate.

The best thing about learning about wine is the process.  Drink up! Find out what your taste buds like.  Wine ratings are fine but there have certainly been times when I have preferred a lower rated, cheaper wine over a fancy, expensive one.  I say that if you like it, and it likes you back (doesn't kill your head), then all is well.  And try different varieties; you don't want to get burned out.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment