If you were to ask me if I'd ever had the bad luck to miss my daily cocktail, I'd have to say that I doubt it; where certain things are concerned, I plan ahead. - Luis Buñuel

Friday, May 17, 2013

Cocktail of the Week: Pimm's Cup

We are finally having some consistently lovely spring weather so I thought it was the perfect time to break out one of my favorite warm-weather drinks - a Pimm's Cup.  This refreshing beverage originated in England.  James Pimm ran a bar and he developed a gin-based tonic of sorts, call the Pimm's No. 1 Cup.  New Orleans has recently brought it back in vogue in the States.  One great advantage to this cocktail is that it is low in alcohol, so it's perfect for sipping by the pool.

This is the basic no-frills recipe:

4 oz. Pimms No. 1
1 cup of ginger ale (can also substitute ginger beer)
Slice of cucumber for garnish

Just mix in a tall glass over ice - simple!  You can adjust amounts accordingly as to the amount of beverage you want.  For example, when I made mine last night, I put 3 oz of Pimms and just topped off the glass with ginger ale.

Pimm's No. 1 is available in most liquor stores.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment