If you were to ask me if I'd ever had the bad luck to miss my daily cocktail, I'd have to say that I doubt it; where certain things are concerned, I plan ahead. - Luis Buñuel

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Cocktail of the week: Sidecar

In an effort to motivate myself to return to the blogging world, I have decided to start a weekly post highlighting (what else?) . . . booze!  So thus begins my Cocktail of the Week post.  My only criteria is that they are classic and simple.  I hate buying liquor that just sits on the shelf for years after you make two drinks with it on a crazy party weekend -  hello I'm looking at you banana liqueur!  So let's break out of that vodka tonic rut and shake up some fun!

As I am a complete unabashed lover of all things old-fashioned (movies, decor, music), what better cocktail to start with than the Sidecar, a drink that allegedly originated during World War I.  According to that impeccable source, Wikipedia, the drink appeared sometime at the end of WWI in either London or Paris.  The first mention of the drink in publications was in 1922.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidecar_(cocktail). 

The cocktail is amazingly simple and has one of my favorite flavor profiles for an adult beverage in that it's citrusy.  Here's a great version from one of my favorite dinks, Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa herself.

Ingredients (this makes 4 drinks so adjust accordingly...or not!):


For frosting the glasses (optional):  Freshly squeezed lemon juice & sugar
1 cup Cognac or good brandy

1/2 cup Triple Sec or Cointreau

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

Maraschino cherries or lemon peel, to garnish

Directions:  If you want to frost the glasses, dip the rim or 4 martini glasses in a shallow plate of lemon juice and then in the sugar. Allow to dry for 15 minutes.

Combine the Cognac, Triple Sec, and lemon juice in a pitcher. Pour some into a cocktail shaker with ice, shake well and strain into the glasses. Garnish with a cherry or lemon peel.

Tips:  Chill the glasses beforehand and note that this is cocktail best drank in moderation.  It packs a punch!

P.S.:  I realize that some folks would consider brandy or cognac something that might not be drank very often but it's at least great to cook with as well.  Try it with french onion soup or beef bourguignon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment