If you were to ask me if I'd ever had the bad luck to miss my daily cocktail, I'd have to say that I doubt it; where certain things are concerned, I plan ahead. - Luis Buñuel

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day 81 - "Help!"

I wish I could say that I've been so busy that I haven't had time to blog.  While there has been some business, it's been more lack of motivation.  Call it the lazy days of summer catching up with me.  However, I promise to turn over a new leaf now that it's Fall. (Get it? Okay, bad pun - moving on.) 

Met with the architect and cabinet guy this morning and realized that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this house.  They are asking me about closet design and all I can think is "I have clothes, shoes, and purses....is this hard?!"  Yes, yes it is.  You have to know how much hanging clothing vs how much drawer clothing.  And when the architect asked me how many shoes I have, I was kind of embarrassed because, truthfully, not a shoe person.   Actually, I am a boot person which is much worse.  So need shelving for that.  I could see the dollar signs adding up in Mr. D's head.  And we still haven't picked hardware for cabinets and doors.  We almost had our first tiff regarding the house in front of everyone.  ME:  "Why aren't you contributing an opinion?"  HIM:  "It's your freakin closet!"  Oi!  I got him back later when I said that I wanted stain-grade in my closet but I didn't care what they put in his.  The cabinet guy actually laughed out loud. 

I blame those home design shows on TV.  They waltz in and after some TV editing magic and a crew of 50 working non-stop, folks have a new magnificent place in 30 minutes to an hour.  Because who wants to see Mr. & Mrs. Homeowner argue for an hour over whether to go with chrome or brushed nickel handles?  So far Mr. D and I haven't had any issues but I'm afraid it's because we keep putting off decisions on things we may not see eye-to-eye on.  I think it's now time for us to quit fussing about minute details and just pick something we can live with.  I just read a great book, "Blink" by Thomas Gladwell, about making quick decisions and judgments based on very little information.   His theory is that when faced with limited choices, taking time to examine them is usually best.  But when faced with numerous choices, it's best to go with your snap judgment.  Just look, point, and say, "That one!"  I think that might be my new strategy.  Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment