If you were to ask me if I'd ever had the bad luck to miss my daily cocktail, I'd have to say that I doubt it; where certain things are concerned, I plan ahead. - Luis Buñuel

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 24 - "When I Get Home"

After almost four weeks, being away from home is starting to wear on us a little.  I can feel my patience waning.  I miss being able to let the dogs roam and run in the backyard.  Actually, I'm just sick of walking them in 98 degree late afternoon heat.  And I miss a big bed - full size doesn't cut it for 2 people, it just doesn't.  Every weekend we spend at home makes it harder to go back to our friend's house.  Not that his home isn't lovely and he's been great.  It's just not the same.  But there's no hot water at home and it's just easier to stay away for now.  Cross our fingers we can move back permanently (into guest room) in a month.

The progress on the house has been great.  New foundation for screened porch is up, all the framing done in bedroom and bath.  Work supposed to start on new laundry room next week.  Of course, I think we are still in the honeymoon phase because we haven't spent a dime yet.  But it's coming, and it's coming soon (why am I hearing the theme from "Jaws"?)  Our contractor did tell us yesterday we are well within budget so far.  Way to salt that water!  Now, the minute stuff begins.  Where do want to run these wires, what finish do you want on hardware, etc.  But seeing all the progress is starting to make me antsy to get finished but there is still so much to do.  I can see the slowdown in work approaching in the distance while we wait on materials etc.  It's coming, I can feel it.

If I can give any advice to this point, hire an architect before you do anything....seriously.  I don't have to worry with issues like size of ductwork, how far to bring soffits - shit I don't know the answer to anyway.  But he does.  He's my hero.  Granted my paid hero, but I'll settle for a mercenary anyday to do the dirty work.  And I lucked out with an architect who likes contracting work so he's knowledgable about materials.  We would not have survived without him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment