If you were to ask me if I'd ever had the bad luck to miss my daily cocktail, I'd have to say that I doubt it; where certain things are concerned, I plan ahead. - Luis Buñuel

Friday, May 3, 2013

Cocktail of the Week: Manhattan

Ugh!  So I had this post all ready to go for my trip this past weekend, but time got away from me and I forgot.  So here's the cocktail of "last" week!

Since the mister and I jetted off to a wedding deep in the heart of Midtown in NYC, I thought it only appropriate to make the "Manhattan" my cocktail of the week. 

Mr. D loves a Manhattan!  His all-time favorite is the one that used to be made at Central 214 at the Hotel Palomar -Dallas.  It involved maple syrup and Woodford rye whiskey.  However, they have since changed their cocktail menu (bastards), so I will just enlighten you with a basic recipe.

Ingredients: 

2 ounces rye whiskey
1 ounce sweet vermouth
2-3 dashes Angostura bitters

Directions:

1.  Shake the rye, vermouth, and bitters with ice
2.  Strain into a well chilled martini glass
3.  Garnish with a lemon twist or maraschino cherry

Some versions call for bourbon, personally I like the bitterness of the rye.  Gives it a nice aged quality.(Dinks tip:  Instead of putting bitters into shaker, shake the bitters into the clean glass, swirl it around and then dump out excess bitters.)

Mr. D ended up having a Manhattan at the famed King Cole Bar in the St. Regis.  He said he thought it was made with Canadian whiskey; he said it was okay, not great. 


No comments:

Post a Comment